Around 21 million Americans are struggling with at least one addiction. But, just 10% get treatment. Based on a recent survey, 21.7 million people (8.1%) at the age of 12 or older needed substance abuse treatment in 2015. Among these, 19.3 million were classified as needing but not getting drug and alcohol abuse treatment.
Many people just can’t get access to these crucial services. Almost 1 in 3 patients, who said they need treatment, didn’t go to rehab because they lacked proper healthcare coverage or were not able to cover the costs. Individuals such as these would greatly benefit from free addiction rehab.
That’s exactly where this guide will come in handy. Here you can find all the information you need on the best low-cost and free rehab centers in Texas and Oklahoma. Including practical facts that will help you get the necessary treatment.
Help to Find Free Rehab Centers in Texas
Based on a national survey from 2018, out of 14,809 facilities in the U.S., 45% provide minimal payment or free rehab services. Around a quarter of these centers are private. Plus, 58% of them have a sliding fee scale. In other words, patients can pay as much as they can afford.
Free alcohol and drug treatment programs are meant to aid poverty-stricken individuals in overcoming their substance abuse. These services are designed for people who don’t have the means to afford the treatment but still need help to get their lives back on track.
- How to find a free rehab fast? SAMHSA offers a search tool, which you can use to locate state-funded programs nearby. You can use it to find addiction treatment facilities that offer free services or with minimal out-of-pocket costs. The Locator Map will help you find places based on the facility type anywhere across the United States.
But do have in mind that most rehabs don’t publicly advertise they provide free treatment. If you want to find a low-cost or free treatment option that is closest to your local area, you should consult with a therapist or doctor.
Facilities such as these feature all kinds of services and treatment opportunities. They offer long-term and detox care. Although they have different sources of funding, they still ensure the same quality care.
Different Types of Free or Affordable Rehab Centers
Free rehab centers in Fort Worth and across the United States get their funding from private endowments, charity, and government grants. Some organizations may award patients with a scholarship if they can’t pay for rehab but need treatment at a private rehab center.
To understand these free programs, you need to learn about the various types. Here, you can find out more.
Non-Profit Rehab Facility
Many non-profit rehab organizations either manage a treatment facility or give funding to treatment centers that offer free alcohol and drug rehab to those in need. With an option such as this, patients living with addiction can also get support, increase their awareness, and learn to beat their addiction.
These organizations can lend recovery and treatment services to a distinct disadvantaged group. Some of them are situated in Texas and Oklahoma. These include:
- Grace House – This non-profit treatment facility is meant to lend holistic restoration to women with chronic addiction. Found in Central Texas, women can use these services to get long-term and faith-based alcohol and drug recovery free of charge. Here, patients get personalized treatment in a family-style setting. If you are looking for free rehab centers in Dallas, this could be a good place to start.
- Turtle Creek Recovery Center – As the only outpatient and residential program in North Texas, this non-profit organization is dedicated to helping both women and men to reclaim balance in their lives. They can help patients with severe drug or alcohol addiction, mental illness, and co-occurring disorders. Therefore, they ensure integrated treatment for both chemical and mental health issues. When these illnesses combine, they can have a truly devastating impact. That’s why this center provides proper care and ensures psychiatric sobriety and stability.
- Power House Recovery Center LLC – This non-profit organization provides a supportive, safe, and sober living environment for patients in need of the 12-step recovery program. With over ten years of experience, they can help men manage their substance and alcohol abuse to live a healthier and fuller life. The goal of the treatment is for residents to learn spiritual principles, including how to implement them in their daily lives.
- Last Chance Recovery Center – Founded in 1987, this non-profit organization in Houston, Texas, provides a proper environment for people who want to overcome their drug and alcohol addiction. Their community features three residential buildings with plenty of space to support numerous patients. They also celebrate sobriety birthdays every last Sunday of the month to help people cherish their newfound success.
What Does Faith-Based Drug Treatment Mean?
Multiple non-profit organizations offer free or little cost faith-based treatment. According to statistics, 73% of addiction programs in the United States feature a spiritual-based element to help patients stay sober.
This approach is focused on faith, and some of them don’t require patients to subscribe to certain religious beliefs. 84% of scientific reports show that faith has a positive impact on addiction recovery, prevention, and treatment.
The idea of faith-based rehab is to help patients struggling with chronic and severe addiction to find help and guidance in the higher power. That way, they can stay away from their self-destructive behavior and find the motivation to stick to their health journey.
Some of these popular and commonly used programs with a potent religious mindset are N.A. (Narcotics Anonymous) and A.A. (Alcoholics Anonymous). These are free programs that rely on group support and the 12-step program.
These support groups use the following treatment approach:
- Admitting powerlessness
- Accepting that only the Higher Power can lend you the help you need
- Submitting your life and will to God
- Creating a suitable moral inventory
- Acknowledging and accepting your wrongs
- Allowing the Higher Power to get rid of the shortcomings
- Making amends to all the important people in your life that you’ve harmed
- Focusing on meditation and prayer to improve the conscious contact with God
- Spreading the word
These free treatment options provide counseling, direction, and plenty of room for personal development.
Government-Funded Drug and Alcohol Rehab Facility
Plenty of government-funded addiction treatment facilities can help addicts get help free of charge or at a cheap cost. The State of Texas has funded these programs so that people can get access to treatment.
Here, you can get a comprehensive list of some of the most well-known rehab centers in Fort Worth. Some of them offer treatment with little to no cost for patients. Many of the options listed here can be free to the resident if they are eligible for free treatment. Whether or not they can get free treatment will be based on the client’s financial history.
- Glick House Community Counseling Center – Here, people get access to effective and practical strategies to solve their crises and overwhelming addiction. With the help of the committed community, patients can ask for multiple forms of assistance, such as drug abuse, individual and family counseling.
- Billy Gregory Pine Street Center – This inpatient unit provides group and individual therapy for drug or alcohol-addicted individuals. It also features outpatient support with the sole purpose of preventing relapse. People can also get a medical detox program and group support. The goal of this government-funded facility is to evaluate patients in need of mental health treatment and refer them to a proper program.
- Tarrant County Medical Education & Research Foundation – Situated on Southland Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas, this facility provides outpatient treatment for opiate-addicted clients. It is a non-profit foundation where clients can manage their addiction at a reasonable rate. To qualify for free treatment, your household must be within the poverty guidelines.
Treatment Centers Near Fort Worth
Since there are a limited amount of facilities within Fort Worth, you can find additional treatment centers nearby. If you are looking to try various rehabs in close proximity, then take a look at the list below. Here are other addiction treatment centers that are close to Fort Worth.
- Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center Oklahoma City – Found in Oklahoma City, this male-only center offers rehabilitation for free. People get access to a 6-month inpatient treatment option they can use to beat their addiction to drugs or alcohol. Most applicants can get treatment for free unless they have a source of income. Those who are eligible for food stamps can also use them during their stay to get snacks and food.
- Abode Treatment Outpatient – Located at White Settlement, Texas, this is another rehab that can help with chemical dependency. This is a private corporation meant to grant addiction therapy for patients of the criminal justice system and the general public. The majority of listings on their website are free. However, this rehab center mainly focuses on providing low-cost services for low-income families.
- Stonegate Center – This is a male-only treatment center that aids those with chemical dependency. It is a residential center with dual diagnosis capability, safe, therapeutic, and structured environment. Here, men can find a way to break their drug abuse and addiction and replace it with more practical skills that will help them succeed in life. The purpose of this treatment facility is to support patients to practice and hone social skills and norms. This center isn’t free, however, as most patients utilize commercial insurance plans to cover the cost.
- Abode Treatment Inpatient – This is a low-budget or free inpatient treatment option that can assist those in need of alcohol and drug addiction problems. Located in White Settlement, Texas, is a 128-bed residential facility. With years of experience in chemical dependency treatment, this facility can help patients alleviate the discomfort, cravings, and addiction.
What Do You Get With Free Rehab?
It depends on the sources of funding and treatment center. Free rehab can offer anything from simple outpatient drug management to intensive inpatient care. Government-funded facilities have bigger odds of providing full treatment opportunities.
But, they might not have the latest technological advances at their disposal or amenities that private facilities have to offer. In most cases, the free treatment ensures a standard/basic recovery option. They are effective forms of support that can help with substance abuse.
How to Qualify for Free Addiction Treatment?
|Priorities for state-funded addiction treatment|
|– Pregnant women with IV drug addiction.|
|– Pregnant women with any form of addiction.|
|– People with IV drug addiction.|
|– Women with severe drug addiction one year after giving birth.|
|– Homeless or those with a lack of state residency.|
|– Unemployed individuals.|
To qualify, you need to know the eligibility requirements. A non-profit organization that runs a treatment center typically provides financial assistance for people who can’t afford their services. Multiple such organizations offer zero-cost treatment at their own rehab via scholarships.
It is also possible to find free treatment with the help of religious organizations. But, when it comes to government-funded options, there are stricter eligibility guidelines. When you do apply for free treatment, you have to show proof of:
- United States citizenship
- household income
- lack of state residency
- lack of proper insurance
- level of addiction history
When it comes to the income level, patients with a six-figure income are not often eligible for free rehab. But, if their family has a six-figure income with well over a dozen dependents (or/and a person with a disability), then they can be eligible for free treatment. Currently, free treatment greatly depends on your income level. Those at the highest priority are homeless and unemployed individuals.
Furthermore, there are specific programs dedicated to a certain number of people. For example, Veterans Drug and Alcohol Dependence Rehab Programs are only available to veterans. These patients obtain care through the V.A. system. They get access to rehab, detox, and psychiatric care.
Then, you also have programs meant for male or female-only patients. These facilities can have available spots at different times and have different criteria. So, it’s best to talk with a representative from that program and see whether you are eligible for free treatment.
How to Pay For Treatment?
Free rehabs for drug addiction and alcohol treatments often have a long waiting list. There are tons of patients waiting to provide proof of financial need. Although the cost of treatment can be a huge problem for some patients, there are low-cost treatment opportunities. You can use these to pursue your sobriety.
That includes turning to:
- Health insurance
- Credit and loans
- Family and friends
- Clinical trials
The most convenient way to afford rehab is to get health insurance. You can use it to obtain the necessary coverage. As a newly insured individual, be sure to consult your insurance provider. They can advise you on whether or not the coverage is enough for the addiction treatment.
But, if you are in desperate need of treatment and don’t have insurance, then you might need to take a different approach to cover the spending. Remember, starting drug rehab is an investment. But, it’s also the most important decision of your life.
That’s why people turn to other financial options, such as healthcare-related credit and loans. Healthcare loans typically have lower interest rates. They are also flexible and can pay for the whole treatment. However, the amount you can qualify for will vary based on your credit.
Since the need for addiction treatment is recognized as a key healthcare service, people can obtain scholarships for free treatment. These scholarships are designed solely for individuals with financial struggles or without insurance.
One such option is the Sobriety Optimization League. This is a form of funding strictly meant for addicts in need of care. People can submit their applications online. The second option is the 10,000 Beds Scholarship Program. This non-profit organization provides suitable treatment options for those who struggle with addiction.
Do note that the number of applications is strictly limited. So, you would need to wait for the applications to open before you can apply for a scholarship.
If you don’t have the means to obtain funding or cover any loans or credits, then fundraising may prove helpful. You can turn to social media and other platforms to share your story and raise funds. People open campaigns and ask for support from their community. Any contribution can prove helpful.
Also, don’t be ashamed to ask your closest friends and family members for help. If you are willing to beat the addiction, then they might want to lend a hand. Arrange a method for which you can repay for rehab by getting a job, for example.
Then, you have clinical trials. If there is an ongoing research study practiced by a university in your local area that does substance abuse treatment, then you can try this option as well. Trials often have strict recruitment policies but can also be helpful for overcoming addiction. Look for universities that post recruitment for substance abuse treatment.
Lastly, don’t forget to consult with your primary care physician before taking any drastic measures. It’s best to consult with an expert. Remember, they can connect you with other drug rehab centers that might have the resources you need.
Medicaid Coverage – To Minimize Out of Pocket Costs
Medicare and Medicaid are the go-to options for paying for alcohol and drug rehab. These are state and federal-funded insurance programs. With an option such as this, people can get affordable or free substance abuse treatment.
- Outpatient visits
- Medication cravings and maintenance
- Inpatient care
- Long-term rehab
- Other psychological health services
Each state in the U.S. has various treatments and eligibility coverages. Specific wrap-around services may not be covered by the Texas Medicaid program, such as childcare for mothers who have to take their children with them during addiction treatment or training life skills.
The system measures employment, treatment completion, arrests, homelessness, abstinence, A.A., and N.A. participation. These rules change every year. Therefore, if you were turned down one year ago, you could get the coverage now.
As a public insurance program, it is meant for low-income families in need of treatment. It covers the basic aspects of dependency and substance abuse recovery and falls under the ACA (Affordable Care Act) or Obamacare.
Are There Any Rehab Centers That Take Medicaid in Texas?
In Texas, specific treatment centers accept Medicaid. This can help patients manage and treat various stages of substance addiction. Texas residents can apply to these centers for free or low-cost treatment.
They can get access to outpatient/inpatient Medicaid treatment programs designed to tackle their addiction. To find these centers, you can either contact the Texas Medicaid office or try some of the options listed here.
Here are some of the treatment facilities in Texas that offer such services.
- ABODE Treatment Inc. – Both their Counseling Center Joshua and Counseling Center Fort Worth can help patients with Medicaid overcome their substance abuse. Clients can also obtain proper aftercare, outpatient, and co-occurring disorder treatment. The center has adopted practical and efficient methodologies that can alleviate the addiction and help deal with the chemical dependency.
- ADAAP (Austin Drug and Alcohol Abuse Program) – This is a family-owned treatment and recovery center that provides educational and professional counseling services. It is a practical option for those who need to manage their dependency and chemical abuse. As one of the oldest treatment centers in Austin, Texas, they have plenty of experience to help those suffering from chronic relapses.
- Austin Recovery Inc. – The Edith Royal Campus offers low-cost and convenient recovery for people with drug abuse problems. Founded in 1967, they’ve had plenty of time to hone their skills. This campus is supported by the community and focuses on helping individuals who can’t afford traditional rehab. They also accept Medicaid and can help people get both short- and long-term residential treatment.
- Brazos Valley Council – Here, patients get a range of different treatment and recovery services tailored to overcome dependency and drug abuse. This outpatient program relies on a multi-disciplinary treatment module, which can boost the odds of abstinence and relapse prevention.
- Cenikor Foundation– Situated in Fort Worth, Texas, this treatment center provides behavioral health services for substance abuse. With the use of Medicaid, people get to revamp their life for good. This facility has locations throughout Texas and provides access to experienced addiction specialists that can get your health back on track. Even if you don’t have Medicaid, you can still rely on multiple financing options that will ease the costs.
- Changes Counseling Services – The treatment plans available here provide individual programs tailored to the patient’s needs. People get to develop a practical, healthy, and productive plan. With it, they can develop emotional stability and lead a more comfortable life. Due to the pandemic, their aftercare and IOP treatments are available online. That makes these therapies more accessible and convenient.
- Youth 180 – In this treatment program, safety is their top priority. For you to overcome your addiction, you need the perfect clinical environment that will supply you with exactly that. This facility offers both in-person and Telehealth services, which take Medicaid. You can apply here if you need substance abuse treatment, psychological health counseling, and support recovery. Their team consists of experienced personnel who will set you on the right path to recovery.
Free Addiction Treatment: Pros and Cons
When you look for free rehab centers near me, you need to know their advantages and disadvantages. Just like any treatment opportunity out there, free rehab also has its pros and cons. It’s important to weigh out the two. So that potential patients can get a clear overview of what they can expect. Here, you can see exactly what going to free rehab centers in Dallas has to offer.
The price of rehab is the biggest advantage to free rehab centers. Those who don’t have the means to support themselves or their family can still get the help they need. This doesn’t put a lot of strain on their household finances and still addresses the addiction.
Another advantage is the controlled environment. Patients can manage their drug or alcohol addiction through programs that seclude them from the influence of the outside world. This is a key feature in ensuring recovery, safety, and avoiding relapse.
Even if these options can be free, the programs are still run by competent, talented, trained, and compassionate professionals. They have the experience of working with people from different backgrounds. Therefore, you always get access to quality care and efficient therapies.
When you compare free rehab to private care, it is easy to spot the differences. Since free centers have limited resources and budgets, they can only accept a set amount of patients. The limited access to free treatment means there is always a huge waiting list. It’s very unlikely that you will get in on the first try. This delays the treatment and increases the risk for a possible overdose.
Those who pay for rehab get immediate treatment. They acquire the best means to manage their problem with proper amenities, medication, or detox opportunities. This reduces the risk of overdose.
Another disadvantage is the outdated equipment. Private centers have the latest quality care that’s up to date with the current standards. Whereas free rehab might not use the technology that’s currently available to these centers. Instead, they focus on tried-and-true tactics that can help with addictions.
Want to know more? Check out some of the most frequently asked questions below. They may answer all your queries.
- Why Is Addiction Rehab So Expensive?
The cost of rehab can be determined by a range of factors, like the facility type, substance abuse, treatment opportunities, length of stay, location, amenities, and more.
Inpatient recovery treatment can cost from $2,000 to $25,000 dollars in one month. While outpatient programs can cost around $10,000. Medical detox typically ranges from $300 to $800 for daily treatment. Whereas outpatient detox can cost $1,000 to $1,500.
Because of how expensive it can be, people just can’t afford the treatment. But, these costs are not the only thing that makes rehab expensive. Other medical issues paired with addiction can also increase insurance rates and healthcare costs.
Now, when you pair that with getting fired, that’s when people experience a serious financial toll. All of these expenses can sound discouraging. But, that doesn’t mean you should give up hope. If you are from a low-income household, you can use the information here to find affordable or free treatment.
- Is Drug Rehab Worth the Cost?
Absolutely. The truth is, financial, health insurance, and payment struggles can make you feel that rehabs are not worth the effort. But, you’re wrong. With treatment, people can learn how to lead a drug-free life. They can manage their addiction and use the skills they learn during treatment to boost their romantic and personal relationships.
Not only do they reduce the risk for relapse, but they also set their personal growth on the right path. In other words, rehab is definitely worth the cost. Particularly for those who can’t topple their addiction on their own.
- Can Online Rehab Help?
Online rehab is another cost-effective treatment option. Those who can’t afford typical rehab choose online rehab instead. The fees here are usually lower than traditional programs. But, the amount you pay will vary based on the program you selected.
This is a go-to choice with the current restrictions due to COVID-19. They offer a practical and convenient scheduling option with private treatment. Online rehab plans group or individual sessions led by peer support and addiction counselors. So, if you are looking for a cheaper yet effective alternative, online rehab may come in handy.
- What if a Person Is on Probation – Can They Still Get Free Rehab?
Reintegrating into society right after getting out of jail can be a difficult process. Particularly for individuals who struggle with drug or alcohol addiction. The primary purpose of parole is to help former inmates get back into society and avoid re-offending. This is the perfect time for people to work on their addiction.
An addiction treatment program can help with that. It can provide people with proper support and coping mechanisms to maintain their sobriety. This is a serious opportunity for people who are willing to put in the effort and succeed.
When it comes to paying for treatment, there are a couple of things you should know about. In the majority of cases, the addict will have to pay the costs for court-ordered rehab. The court doesn’t cover these expenses, regardless of how severe the addiction might be.
Rehabs that are meant for court-ordered treatment typically offer services depending on a sliding scale. If, for example, the patient in need of treatment has no funds to cover the expenses, the patient might not have to pay the fees for rehab. But, that greatly depends on the facility and the person’s financial state.
All in all, people can go to rehab while on probation. They can get medical detox, residential rehab, outpatient programs, knowledge on how to maintain a sober living, and proper aftercare. But, whether or not you would need to cover the expenses depends on your current financial situation. You would need to be eligible for free treatment.
- Why Wait to Get Treated?
Getting free addiction treatment can take a pretty long time. Most centers have massive waiting lists, which prevents people from getting the treatment they need. But, if you want to save on costs, can’t afford insurance, or other financial options, then waiting for treatment is your best bet.
It might take weeks or months. But, the moment you get admitted, you will finally have the chance to work on your health. This is your best option to get your addiction sorted and allow your body to function properly. So, sometimes, waiting can work to your advantage.
For countless homeless and unemployed people, it is incredibly difficult to get money for substance abuse treatment. That’s why in the United States, they can use multiple financial opportunities to turn a new leaf. They can use insurance, loans, credits, scholarships, fundraising, etc. That way, they get to minimize the spending and still recover from their addiction. Now that you know which facilities to contact, you can find the treatment option you are looking for.
Other sources from blogs and websites:
John Eckelbarger is a Business Development Representative for Stonegate Center. With a BSA in Chemistry from the University of Texas at Austin, he has an interest in the neurobiology of addiction as well as the pharmacology of drugs. He hopes to bolster Stonegate Center’s status at the forefront of addiction medicine through bold, innovative content creation. He is currently pursuing his MBA in Finance from Texas Christian University.