Types of AddictionStonegate Center Addiction Treatment in Texas
Approximately 16% of The U.S. Population Ages 12 and Over Has a Substance Problem. This Includes:
- Nicotine (approximately 9%)
- Alcohol (approximately 7%)
- Illegal drugs (approximately 2%)
- Prescription drugs (approximately 1%)
Note: The percentage of the population with each type substance problem adds to more than 16% because some people have more than one type.
Over half of those with a substance problem also use or have problems with another substance.
Among People With A Substance Problem, Nearly 1 In 5 Have Multiple Substance Disorders.
- Nicotine: over 1/5 have another alcohol or drug problem
- Alcohol: nearly 1/3 also have a nicotine or other drug problem
- Illegal drugs: nearly 2/3 have another substance problem
- Prescription drug: nearly 3/4 have another substance problem
Other Compulsive Behaviors, Such as Those Related to Gambling, Food and Sex, For Example, May Also be Expressions of Addiction.
Some research suggests that these types of “behavioral addictions” involve similar changes in the brain, common risk factors and behaviors. They also show common responses to certain types of treatment. These findings suggest the possibility that addiction may be one disease with different forms or expressions.
- CASAColumbia. (2012). Addiction medicine: Closing the gap between science and practice.
- Shaffer, H. J., LaPlante, D. A., LaBrie, R. A., Kidman, R. C., Donato, A. N., & Stanton, M. V. (2004). Toward a syndrome of model addiction: Multiple expressions, common etiology. Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 12(6), 367-374.
Stonegate Center accepts many major insurance carriers. We strongly believe that the cost of drug and alcohol addiction treatment should not prevent you from getting the rehab care you need. Our admissions team will work directly with your insurance company to ensure you maximize your benefits.
Recent Blog Post
Alcohol is a stimulant. False! Alcohol is actually a depressant. You’re not alone if you didn’t know that, because most people typically feel energized after a drink or two. But it’s important to understand that alcohol affects the body and mind in specific ways that...
Visit Our Facilities
Azle, TX 76020