Nutrition for Substance Abuse RecoveryIntegrating Nutrition and Addiction Recovery Within Substance Abuse Treatment Plan
“You are what you eat,” and that’s especially true when you are in recovery. A well-balanced diet is the cornerstone of good health, and you need to build up your health and strength when you’re being treated for drug and alcohol addiction. Good nutrition for recovery is essential, which is why it’s a key component of our addiction treatment programs in Fort Worth, TX.
At Stonegate Center, you’ll discover the healing power of good-for-you foods. It’s part of our whole-person approach to addiction rehabilitation that builds up the body, mind, and spirit. Contact us today to learn more.
How Does Addiction Affects Diet & Nutrition?
Good eating takes a back seat to drugs and alcohol when you’re in the throes of a substance use disorder. This can have a negative effect on your health. Here are some ways substance abuse and nutrition are interlinked:
- Substances, especially alcohol, prevent your body from fully absorbing the nutrients it needs to function at a high level. This malnutrition can make you more susceptible to disease.
- Drugs and alcohol can lower the amount of good bacteria in the gut. This microbiome is necessary for your health. In fact, research indicates that an impaired gut microbiome can lead to a higher risk of diseases such as cancer and obesity.
- Chronic side effects of substance abuse, such as ulcers, frequent vomiting, or diarrhea, also inhibit nutrient absorption.
- Prolonged drug and alcohol use can weaken the immune system. Combined with poor diet, this can lead to health problems down the road.
We provide nutrition for recovering alcoholics and drug users to give them vital sustenance so they can regain their strength. This helps prepare them to move forward into a life of sobriety after treatment.
Culinary Therapy for Addiction
It’s important for our clients to feel comfortable and confident in the kitchen so they can make healthy meals at their homes. In Culinary Therapy, our chef teaches clients cooking skills and preparation methods for staple meals. Our program help with the following:
- Builds social bonds as clients work together in the kitchen.
- Supports physical, mental, and spiritual healing.
- Promotes a serene and relaxing atmosphere.
- Increases self-image and confidence as participants form healthy eating habits and build their kitchen skills.
- Teaches nutritional tips such as adding zinc to your diet and the importance of good fats.
Our Approach to Nutrition and Addiction Recovery
A healthy diet is just as important as typical treatment therapies, such as counseling or 12-step support groups. That’s why the kitchen is the heart of our gender-separate living quarters. Stonegate Center feeds the body and the soul by combining nutrition and addiction recovery:
- We have a 30-day rotating menu of flavorful, fresh meals.
- Meals feature lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables.
- A licensed dietitian reviews each meal for its nutritional ability to counteract the damage caused by addiction.
- A professional chef prepares all meals.
- Allergies and dietary restrictions can be accommodated.
Contact Us For Help
If you or a loved one is battling with substance abuse addiction, Stonegate Center is here to help. With four facilities in the Fort Worth, TX area, we're available to help those in surrounding communities reach a full recovery from addiction. Learn more about proper nutrition for recovery and our addiction treatment programs, which range from medical detox to continuing care. Contact us today for more information, or visit our insurance verification page to verify your insurance coverage for rehab treatment.
Our Addiction Treatment Programs
- Drug Addiction Treatment
- Alcohol Abuse Treatment
- Heroin Addiction Treatment
- Residential Rehab
- Gender-Separate Treatment Program
- 12-Step Treatment Program
- Family Integration Program
- Individual Therapy
- Nutrition Program
- 90-Day Curriculum Program
- 45-Day Core Program
- Equine Therapy
- Wellness Program
- Continuing Care
- Ongoing Recovery Support
- Medical Detox Program
Stonegate Center's Rehab to Recovery in Texas
Stonegate Center's Fort Worth, TX rehab facility is located in a quiet, safe, and spacious 125-acre ranch in Fort Worth, Texas. We proudly service the Dallas, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma areas, and we can accommodate patients from coast to coast, as well. We accept all clients and insurances. To learn if your insurance covers drug addiction treatment services, visit our online verification page.
Are You or a Loved One Struggling with Drug & Alcohol Addiction?
Call Our Helpline 24/7
We Help Verify Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
Most health insurance plans cover addiction treatment, although plans can vary in terms of the coverage they provide or how long they will cover your substance abuse treatment. We can help check with your provider by clicking below and completing our verification of benefits form.
Recent Blog Posts
Substance abuse has emerged as a major public health concern, affecting millions worldwide. Breaking free from addiction is arduous, and the initial withdrawal phase can be particularly challenging. Medical detoxification, or medically assisted detox, is crucial in...
Drug and alcohol addiction is a chronic and dreadful disease that wreaks havoc on the whole family. Fortunately, it is a preventable and treatable condition and there are several addiction treatment facilities across the country that are dedicated to helping...
Visit Our Facilities
Medical Detox Center: 7510 FM 1886, Bldg A, Azle, TX 76020
Creekside Men's Rehab: 7510 FM 1866, Azle, TX 76020
Hilltop Women's Rehab: 7510 FM 1886, Bldg B, Azle, TX 76020
Trevor's House Sober Living: 6341 Granbury Rd Fort Worth, TX 76133
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Sign up to receive updates on latest events and programs going on at Stonegate Center, as well as resources to help individuals and families battling with drug & alcohol addiction.